Monday, July 31, 2006

My Brand New Profession!!

Well, you read it right!! I am starting my new career from tomorrow. No no, I am not ceasing to be a software engineer. That is my bread and butter. Cannot imagine myself not doing that! Just that I will be doing something more.
I will be turning into a teacher from tomorrow. It was a long cherised dream for me. I love teaching. Many reasons behind it. But the chief one has to be my Physics lecturer in PU. He has been one of the biggest inspirations in my life. So, there you go... I will be teaching 10th standard maths in a school. Its a small school called The Laurel school near Basvangudi. The principal is my friend's teacher. When she told that she didnt have a quality maths teacher and offered us the chance to teach, we jumped on the opportunity.
I have always believed that giving back to society starts with teaching. Thats the best service one can do, given the quality of teachers in our schools. For me, there are gains too... No, not monetary... I am not getting money for it. But, I intend to improve my communication skill by teaching those kids. That should be a great take away for me.
Though I am feeling elated to be a part of such an endeavour, I am also feeling nervous. For a person who always made fun of teachers (Ya, I was dreaded and hated by most of my teachers and not without reason. I have always been one of the top pranksters at every stage of my student life!!) , its a strange feeling to be on the other side of the table.
However, I hope the experience would be a good and a mutually beneficial one. Your benedictions are very much needed!!

12 comments:

Kiran said...

hey abhi,

i wish that you get back double of what u give.. i mean ur studenst give you twice as hard a time as u gave ur teachers [:D].. that wil lteach u a lesson or 2 [:P][:P]..

Ok.. jokes apart..

now this is something totally different.. something totally out of the way.. i mean when i first came to know about it i almost fell off my chair..

and abhi i dint know that its ur dream to teach.. honest.. i'm not pulling ur leg here.. i really dint know..

i still dont know how to express my surprise at this.. at first i thought its not a good idea..then when i gave it a deeper thought, it struck me as something extremely worthwhile..

plus 2 things impress me mightily here - one.. ur philosophy of teaching being the grassroots method of giving back to society..

and two.. you taking time off from ur _EXTREMELY_ busy schedule to do this .. i'm not only talking about the absence of monetary gain.. (even if it had been there it wudve been negligible anyway)..it really shows lot of character that u agreed to do this inspite of being neck-deep in water anyway..

finally, its the "small school" factor which again highlights ur selflessness here..

I am making a strong statement here.. among all good decisions Abhi has taken (there have been many - the new yr resolution for instance).. this one takes the cake.. and i mean it Abhi.. not saying it just for the sake of saying it..

Take a bow pal.. take a bow..

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, how I wish the students pay you back in your own coin...

Here's to that!!! :)

Anyway, this is awesome news! But who is this 'we'? ;)

Abhi said...

Hi Kiran,

Well.. I think the students there are much better than what I was... So, some disappointing news for you :D.

I liked to teach from a long time. Just that there was no chance to express my wish... Or did I? You remember I taught Esperanto? That was also partly cos of my liking for teaching. Also, if you remember my story, the narrator is a teacher. So, its not something which sprang up overnight...

Too much praising will result in negative results!! So, enough of praising. Just wish me the very best of luck.

And finally, hope that I can maintain it however busy my scedule gets!!

Abhi said...

Gops,

The other person in that 'we' is a friend of mine. His name is Srivatsa and he works in Infy... It was thru him that I got this chance. I will be ever thankful to him.

itsme said...

hey thats an amazing thought to get back to the very root of a knowledge..
though not a profession i'm pretty sure it'll give u an insight into a lot other things which u woouldnt have anticipated..
wishing u all the best for this endeavour.

Stier said...

Hey abhi,

Thats a good news.
And as everyone else is wishing here....me too wish, that ur students give u more horrid and torrid time :D

Abhi said...

Hey Arun and Arun (Itsallyou and Stier),

Thanks a lot for the encouragement!!

Abhi.

Anonymous said...

So, how did it go?

Abhi said...

Hi Gopal,

The classes are going good. I have taken 2 till now. I take classes every tuesday. Currently teaching Quadratic equations... Not that I am an expert, but have to pose as one :D

Hows your new job?

Anonymous said...

Quadratic equations, eh? Awesome!
Work is OK. Nothing much is happening around here - mostly reading up a *lot* of stuff.

Anonymous said...

hey Abhi,
great to know that you teach. All the best.

Abhi said...

Thanks a lot Sandy..